18% of Americans are on Twitter, but most of us are still Twitter illiterate. Here short easy-to-understand primer to get you Twitter competent in a few minutes (via the New York Times). This is important because Twitter is the fastest growing of all media in the US, it is easy to geo-target to promote in specific locations, and simple to measure the effectiveness.
This short how-to article covers:
- How to set up an account
- How to build a community
- The language of Twitter – the lingo and vocabulary you’ll need to communicate
- Understanding the symbols like “@” or “#” – as in when and how to use @JohnLuginbill or #hcmktng
- Developing authenticity – not a running advertisement, but authentically useful and helpful to others – choosing a “voice”
- Best ways to organize your feed
- Ways to tell others your are now tweeting and reading tweets
A basic knowledge and fluency in Twitter is mandatory for any marketer. Being Twitter illiterate is inexcusable. The good news is you are only 10 minutes away from knowing all the basics.
BTW – You can follow me @JohnLuginbill